Saturday, June 20, 2009

Module 4 Reflection

How can technology be used most effectively to support and assess student learning?
This module has required me to take a second look at my planning and use of technology. To keep up with the 21st century, technology has to be included every opportunity possible.

I feel the most effective use of technology to assess learning would be the use of a blog. Students could reflect on their learning and the teacher could use the blog as a tool to check for understanding. Students would be able to see others interpretation on the learning objective and they could compare their thoughts. The blog allows students the opportunity to expand on their peers views and points, resulting in self-assessment.

I want to incorporate the use of technology in my classroom; however, I need to able to differentiate between the student’s knowledge of technology and the understanding of the material to be learned. I have students that are pros at technology but would have a difficult time demonstrating their knowledge of a subject matter. (life cycles) This is where modeling and practice comes into play. Maybe the use of technology would encourage students to pay more attention to what they are studying. I am up for doing whatever it takes!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the blog!! That is the one thing I can't wait to use!

    O..... "whatever it takes" good job throwing that in there :-)

    I agree, though, that we have to mold our teaching techniques to incorporate new technologies into the classroom to keep kids interested. It will keep them on their toes, but also allow them to show off what they know and use what they are comfortable with.

    This year should be very exciting!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment, "I need to able to differentiate between the student’s knowledge of technology and the understanding of the material to be learned." I am sure that many teachers deal with this same problem. Maybe by incorporating technology more, it could help those students who are pros at the technology but struggle with the subject matter. : )

    ReplyDelete